VEGAN CHAI GINGERBREAD
Vegan Chai Gingerbread
Delicious gingerbread with an extra kick! These are perfect for spicing up Christmas.
- 125 grams vegan butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed soft
- 1/3 cup golden syrup
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp ginger ground
- 1 tbsp cinnamon ground
- 2 tbsp Liquid Chai
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup icing sugar pure
- 1/2 tspn lemon juice
- Line 2 or 3 trays with baking paper.
- Using electric beaters, beat the butter, sugar, syrup and Liquid Chai in a bowl until light and creamy.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Sift in the flour, ginger and soda. Use a wooden spoon to mix until combined.
- Use a well-floured hand to gather the dough into a ball. Knead gently on a well-floured surface until smooth. Don't over-handle the dough or it will become tough.
- Lay a sheet of baking paper over a large chopping board. Roll out the dough on the lined board to a 5mm thickness.
- Preheat oven to moderate 180°C
- Refrigerate the dough on the board for 15 minutes, or until it is firm enough to cut. Cut the dough into shapes using assorted gingerbread cutters. Press any remaining dough together. Re-roll and cut out into shapes.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool the biscuits on the trays, then decorate with icing.
To Make Icing
- Add lemon to sifted icing sugar, stir until thick and creamy.
- Spoon into small paper icing bags and use to decorate the biscuits.
You can colour the icing by easily adding some food colouring to the mix. Pick different colours and get creative decorating the gingerbread. If you don't have a piping bag, you can make one by using a plastic sandwich bag. Put the icing into the bag and cut a small hole out of one of the bottoms corners. It will pipe through and you can choose how thick you want it to come out. Cut a larger hole for thicker icing.