CHAI CINNAMON ROLLS
Let me tell you about these delicious, sweet, fluffy chai cinnamon rolls… they are insanely good!
Everyone loves cinnamon rolls, but these are extra yummy because they taste like a chai latte.
The dough is light and fluffy. You must allow the dough to rise and double in size to ensure a beautiful airy texture. I add the Liquid Chai to the dough so it tastes like yummy chai bread, but you can add it to the filling instead. Or if you’re really chai obsessed add it to both!
I like to really cake the cinnamon and brown sugar filling, it is super delicious and will melt all through the rolls when they are baking. It is so yummy.
Make sure to drizzle the vanilla icing while the rolls are warm, it will help the icing seep into all the crevices. The icing makes the rolls really moist and sweet.
| Vegan | Dairy Free | Egg Free | Dessert |
Chai Cinnamon Rolls
- round cake pan
- large mixing bowl
- measuring cup
- wooden spoon
- towel or plastic wrap
- 2 cups soy milk at room temperature
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- ¼ cup raw sugar
- 1 tbsp Liquid Chai
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 5 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup coconut oil softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp soy milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Rub a round cake or pie pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soy milk, melted coconut oil and sugar. The mixture should be just warm.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the mixture and let set for 1 minute.
- Add 5 cups flour, 1 tablespoon Liquid Chai and 1 teaspoon of salt to the milk mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- After 1 hour the dough should have doubled in size.
- Remove covering and add an additional ½ cup flour. Combine then turn over onto a well-floured surface.
- Knead the dough lightly, adding additional flour as necessary until the dough loses its stickiness.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle about 1cm thick. Spread the softened coconut oil over the dough.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon evenly over the dough.
- Roll up the dough forming a log. Pinch the seam closed. Trim off any uneven ends.
- Cut the log into even pieces, the width matching the height of your chosen pan. It will usually make 6 - 8 rolls.
- Place the rolls face up into the pan. One in the middle and the rest circling around. Cover again with plastic wrap or a towel and place in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
- To prepare frosting: In a medium-sized bowl, use a fork to mix together the soy milk, icing sugar and vanilla essence until smooth.
- Remove covering. Bake the chai cinnamon rolls in the oven at 180˚C for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- While still warm, drizzle evenly with frosting.